Parents always want to make sure they’re doing what is best for their child – including picking out the right toothbrush. It can be overwhelming with how many options there are on the market. So, how do you choose? Charlotte Pediatric Dentistry can help.
How to Choose a Toothbrush for Kids
To ensure a healthy dental hygiene routine for your child, you want to make sure the right toothbrush is being used to clean their teeth. The right toothbrush will help thoroughly clean their teeth, as well as be comfortable enough for them to help the brushing process go smoothly. It also helps to find a toothbrush your child likes to make dental hygiene fun!
When looking at toothbrushes at the store or online, keep these tips from Charlotte Pediatric Dentistry in mind:
- Your child has a smaller mouth, which requires a smaller toothbrush. Our pediatric dentists recommend a brush that is an inch long and half an inch wide for best results. The brush’s surface should be large enough to completely clean the tooth when brushing in a circular motion.
- Find a toothbrush with a handle large enough for your child’s dexterity. Larger, thicker handles will be easier for your child to hold and manipulate while brushing.
- Only use soft-bristled toothbrushes. Soft bristles are gentle on your child’s teeth and gums. Medium- and hard-bristled brushes can damage the gum tissue and tooth enamel of your child’s smile.
- Battery-powered toothbrushes can be helpful for children learning how to brush thoroughly. The moving bristles can help clean their teeth thoroughly if they are not yet capable of brushing in circular motions. Some brands of powered toothbrushes have a two-minute time built in and will beep when time is up. “Brush until it beeps” could be a method to motivate and encourage your child to brush for the recommended amount of time.
Best Toothbrushes for Children
The best type of toothbrush for your child first depends on their age. The best types of toothbrushes for babies and toddlers should be small, soft, and easy for them to hold. Two of the best toothbrushes for babies and toddlers include:
- Jordan Step 1 Baby Toothbrush
- Baby Banana Toothbrush (it also makes for a great teething toy)
After age one, your child can better hold onto and move a larger toothbrush. The best toothbrushes for children 12 months to three years old are:
- RADIUS Kids Toothbrush Totz
- Oral-B or Colgate Kids’ Toothbrushes (a lot of cartoon and movie character options to choose from)
For children three and up, dentists recommend using an electric toothbrush. The best electric toothbrushes for children include:
- Philips Sonicare Kids’ Electric Toothbrush
- Oral-B Kids’ Electric Toothbrush
- Quip Kids Electric Toothbrush
Best dental hygiene habits for kids
Now that you’ve figured out the right toothbrush – don’t forget about toothpaste. Find the best toothpaste for your child. The best toothpaste for your child should be fluoridated to help build and strengthen their tooth enamel.
For more help keeping your child’s smile healthy and strong, contact Charlotte Pediatric Dentistry.